For AndroGel 1.62% (which comes only in a pump), the recommended starting dose is two pumps (40.5 grams) applied to the skin once daily. After a while, your healthcare provider should check your testosterone levels again. If they are still low, the dose may be increased up to a maximum of four pumps (81 grams) daily. If your testosterone levels are too high after taking the 40.5 (two pumps) dose, your dosage may be reduced to just one pump a day.
General Information on Your AndroGel DoseSome considerations for people taking AndroGel include the following:
- The medication is a gel that is applied to the skin once daily. It comes in either single-use packets or in a multiuse pump.
- Apply AndroGel at the same time each day, preferably in the morning. Apply it to clean, dry, healthy skin on the shoulders, upper arms, and/or abdomen (stomach).
- Do not apply AndroGel to the genitals.
- Make sure to wash your hands after applying the gel. Give the gel a few minutes to dry before you dress. Make sure to wait at least five or six hours before showering or swimming.
- Be sure to cover the application site with clothing once the gel is dry to minimize contact with women or children. You should wash the area thoroughly before any skin-to-skin contact (such as sexual intercourse).
- Until the gel dries, it is flammable. Stay away from open flame until the gel is dry.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not increase your AndroGel dose or take it more frequently than prescribed without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your AndroGel dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.