When treating low testosterone levels, the recommended starting dose of AndroGel 1% is usually 5 grams applied to the skin once daily. If necessary, your dosage may be increased up to 10 grams once daily. AndroGel should be applied at the same time each day, preferably in the morning. Apply it to clean, dry, healthy skin on the shoulders, upper arms, and/or abdomen.
The dose of AndroGel® (testosterone gel) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you react to AndroGel
- Your testosterone levels
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
AndroGel comes in the following strengths and forms:
- AndroGel 1% gel 2.5 gram packets (25 mg of testosterone per packet)
- AndroGel 1% gel 5 gram packets (50 mg of testosterone per packet)
- AndroGel 1% gel 1.25 gram pump, which provides 60 doses, with 1.25 gram of gel (12.5 mg of testosterone) per dose
- AndroGel 1.62% gel 1.25 gram pump, which provides 60 doses with 1.25 grams of gel (20.25 mg of testosterone) per dose.
For AndroGel 1%, the recommended starting dose is 5 grams applied to the skin once daily. After a while, your healthcare provider should check your testosterone levels again. If they are still low, the dose may be increased (first to 7.5 grams once daily, then to 10 grams once daily if necessary). If your testosterone levels are too high after taking the 5-gram daily dose, it is recommended that you stop taking AndroGel.
For AndroGel 1% gel, the packets contain 2.5 grams or 5 grams of the gel. The pump provides 1.25 grams with each depression of the pump. For a 5-gram dose, use four depressions of the pump. For a 7.5-gram dose, use six depressions of the pump. For a 10-gram dose, use eight depressions of the pump.