Effects of AndroGelStudies have shown that AndroGel returns testosterone levels to normal within the first 24 hours of use. With continued use, this medication helps strengthen bones, increase libido (sex drive), and improve erections. It also improves mood and alleviates fatigue.
When and How to Take ItSome general considerations for when and how to take AndroGel include the following:
- The medication is a gel that is applied to the skin once daily. It comes in either single-use packets or in a multiuse pump.
- Apply AndroGel at the same time each day, preferably in the morning. Apply it to clean, dry, healthy skin on the shoulders, upper arms, and/or abdomen (stomach).
- Do not apply AndroGel to the genitals.
- Make sure to wash your hands after applying the gel. Give the gel a few minutes to dry before you dress. Make sure to wait at least five or six hours before showering or swimming.
- Be sure to cover the application site with clothing once the gel is dry to minimize contact with women or children. You should wash the area thoroughly before any skin-to-skin contact (such as for sexual intercourse).
- Until the gel dries, it is flammable. Stay away from open flame until the gel is dry.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or take it more frequently than prescribed without your healthcare provider's approval.
Dosing InformationThe dose of AndroGel your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- Your testosterone levels
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click AndroGel Dosage for more information.)