Side Effects of AndroGelJust like any medicine, AndroGel can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. Most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects include but are not limited to:
- Prostate problems, such as an enlarged prostate
- A skin reaction at the application site
- Breast development.
(Click AndroGel Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)
Drug InteractionsAndroGel can potentially interact with several other medicines (see AndroGel Drug Interactions).
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking AndroGel if you have:
- Prostate cancer
- Breast cancer
- An enlarged prostate (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH)
- Heart disease
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Sleep apnea
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see AndroGel and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see AndroGel and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click AndroGel Warnings and Precautions to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)