Axiron comes as a liquid that is dispensed through a pump that delivers exactly the right amount of medication each time. In most cases, the recommended daily starting dosage of Axiron is 60 mg -- two pumps, one to each armpit. To minimize this drug's contact with women or children, it's important to cover the application site once it is dry.
The dose of Axiron® (testosterone topical solution) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Axiron
- Your testosterone levels
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The recommended dose when starting Axiron is 60 mg (two pumps) once daily, one pump to each armpit. After at least two weeks, your healthcare provider should check your blood testosterone levels (any time from two to eight hours after your daily dose).
Your healthcare provider may then need to adjust your Axiron dosage based on your test results. You may be increased to three pumps (90 mg total) or even four pumps (120 mg total) daily, or perhaps decreased to just one pump (30 mg) per day.
If you need three or four pumps per day, make sure that you apply only one pump per armpit at a time and wait for the product to dry before applying additional pumps.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Axiron include the following:
- The medication is a liquid that is applied to the armpits once daily. It comes in a pump that delivers exactly the right amount of medication each time.
- Apply your Axiron dose at the same time each day, preferably in the morning. Apply it to clean, dry, healthy skin of the armpits only.
- Apply Axiron after applying any antiperspirant or deodorant that you use to avoid contaminating your antiperspirant or deodorant with the medication. This is not expected to interfere with the effectiveness of Axiron in any way.
- Use the included application cup to apply the medication; do not use your hands.
- Be sure to cover the application site with clothing once it is dry to minimize contact with women or children. You should wash the area thoroughly before any skin-to-skin contact, although this product is cleverly designed to minimize skin-to-skin contact, since it is applied to the armpits only.
- Ideally, you should not swim or wash the application site for two hours afterwards in order to give the medication a chance to be absorbed.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or take it more frequently than prescribed without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Axiron dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.