Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Axiron include the following:
- The medication is a liquid that is applied to the armpits once daily. It comes in a pump that delivers exactly the right amount of medication each time.
- Apply Axiron at the same time each day, preferably in the morning. Apply it to clean, dry, healthy skin of the armpits only.
- Apply Axiron after applying any antiperspirant or deodorant that you use to avoid contaminating your antiperspirant or deodorant with the medication. This is not expected to interfere with the effectiveness of Axiron in any way.
- Use the included application cup to apply the medication; do not use your hands.
- Be sure to cover the application site with clothing once it is dry to minimize contact with women or children. You should wash the area thoroughly before any skin-to-skin contact, although this product is cleverly designed to minimize skin-to-skin contact, since it is applied to the armpits only.
- Ideally, you should not swim or wash the armpits two hours after application in order to give the medication a chance to be absorbed.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or take it more frequently than prescribed without your healthcare provider's approval.
The dose of Axiron your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to this medication
- Your testosterone levels
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Axiron Dosage for more information.)