Axiron Warnings and Precautions
Axiron has the potential to cause sleep apnea, breast enlargement in men, increased red blood cells, and other problems. To help ensure a safe treatment process, talk to your healthcare provider before starting treatment if you have any other medical conditions. Other warnings and precautions with Axiron extend to pregnant women, people with breast or prostate cancer, and those with certain allergies.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Axiron® (testosterone topical solution) if you have:
- An enlarged prostate (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH)
- Prostate cancer
- Breast cancer
- Heart disease
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Sleep apnea
- High blood calcium (hypercalcemia)
- Thyroid problems
- High cholesterol
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.