Your healthcare provider will base your Fortesta dose on many factors, such as your testosterone levels and how your body handles the medication. Typically, the starting dosage is 40 mg (four pumps) applied to the front and inner thighs once a day. Do not apply Fortesta to the genitals or to any part of the thigh that might come into contact with the scrotum.
The dose of Fortesta™ (testosterone gel) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you react to Fortesta
- Your testosterone levels
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The recommended starting dose for Fortesta is 40 mg (four pumps) applied to the skin once daily. After a while, your healthcare provider should check your testosterone levels again. If they are still low, the dose may be increased or decreased if necessary. The most accurate time to check your testosterone levels is during a blood draw about two hours after a Fortesta dosage.
The minimum dose is 10 mg (one pump) once daily. The maximum recommended amount is 70 mg (seven pumps) once daily.
Considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Fortesta include the following:
- The medication is a gel that is applied to the skin once daily. It comes in a multi-use pump.
- Apply Fortesta at the same time each day, preferably in the morning. Apply it to clean, dry, healthy skin on the front and inner thighs.
- Do not apply Fortesta to the genitals. Avoid the area of the thighs that might come into contact with the scrotum.
- Make sure to wash your hands after applying a dose. Give the gel a few minutes to dry before you dress. Be sure to wait at least two hours before showering or swimming.
- Until Fortesta dries, it is flammable. Stay away from open flame until the gel is dry.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or use it more frequently than prescribed without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Fortesta, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.