Fortesta Side Effects
In clinical studies, the most common side effect of Fortesta was a skin reaction, occurring in up to 16.1 percent of men. However, most men were able to use the skin gel without any problems, and when reactions occurred, they tended to be mild and easy to treat. To help ensure your safety, tell your healthcare provider if you develop any problems during treatment.
An Introduction to Fortesta Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Fortesta™ (testosterone gel) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will experience problems. Most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Fortesta. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of FortestaFortesta has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. During these studies, all potential side effects were carefully documented.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Fortesta included:
- Skin reactions -- in up to 16.1 percent of men
- Abnormal dreams -- up to 1.3 percent
- Increased prostate-specific antigen (PSA), as seen on a blood test -- up to 1.3 percent.
Some Fortesta side effects, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Hostility or rage
- Prostate cancer
- Any nausea or vomiting
- Changes in skin color
- Sleep apnea
- Ankle swelling
- Breathing problems
- Increased red blood cells, which may increase the risk for blood clots
- Signs of liver damage, such as yellow eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.