Impotence Treatment

Oral Medication

Since 1998, doctors have been able to prescribe a pill to treat impotence. Current brands include Viagra®, Levitra®, Cialis®, Staxyn™, and Stendra™. If your doctor finds that your health is generally good, you may be given a prescription for one of these drugs. You should not take any of these pills if you take any of the heart medicines called nitrates.
These types of impotence medication work by increasing blood flow to the penis. They do not cause automatic erections. These drugs should be taken exactly as prescribed, so be sure to talk with your doctor about when to take your pill. You may need to experiment to find out how soon the pill takes effect.
Even if taking an erectile dysfunction pill solves your erection problem, you should still take care of the other health issues that may have caused your impotence.

Injections and Pellets

Taking a pill doesn't work for every man. Many men use medicines that go directly into the penis. Caverject® and Edex® are forms of erectile dysfunction medication that are injected into the shaft of the penis with a needle. MUSE® is a tiny pill inserted into the urethra at the tip of the penis. These impotence medicines usually cause an erection within minutes. These medications can be successful, even if other impotence treatment fails.

Vacuum Devices

Another way to create an erection is to use a vacuum tube. For this option, the penis is inserted into the tube. As air is pumped out of the tube, the volume of the penis expands. Blood then flows into the penis and makes it larger, causing an erection. A specially designed rubber band is then placed at the base of the penis to keep the blood from flowing out.
5 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About ED

Impotence Information

Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2018 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.