Men Home > Acamprosate
When and How to Take AcamprosateGeneral considerations for when and how to take the medication include the following:
- Acamprosate comes in the form of a delayed-release tablet. It is taken by mouth, usually three times a day.
- You can take it with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with a little food. It may help to take acamprosate with meals so that you remember to take it.
- Do not break, cut, or chew the tablets, as this will destroy the delayed-release coating on them.
- Make sure to take acamprosate at the same times each day in order to maintain an even level in your blood.
- It can take up to five days for an effective and steady level of acamprosate to accumulate in the body. Don't give up too early.
- If you have a relapse and start drinking again, do not stop taking this medication unless your healthcare provider instructs you to do so.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.