Men Home > Doxazosin XL Dosage
Some of the factors that your healthcare provider will consider before prescribing a dosage for doxazosin XL include other medical conditions you may have and other medications you are taking. In most cases, the initial dose for treating an enlarged prostate is 4 mg taken once daily with breakfast. If necessary, this amount can be increased after three or four weeks.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of Doxazosin XLThe dose of doxazosin XL (Cardura® XL) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your doxazosin XL dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Doxazosin XL Dosing for an Enlarged ProstateThe recommended starting doxazosin XL dose is 4 mg once daily with breakfast. If necessary, after three to four weeks, your healthcare provider may increase the amount up to 8 mg once daily with breakfast. If you are switching from immediate-release doxazosin (regular doxazosin), the starting dosage is still 4 mg once daily, regardless of what strength of immediate-release doxazosin you were taking.
If you are taking the maximum dosage (8 mg daily) and you stop taking doxazosin XL for several days, you will need to restart back at the starting dose (4 mg once daily).
General Information on Taking Doxazosin XLSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with doxazosin XL include the following:
- Doxazosin XL comes in the form of an extended-release tablet. It is usually taken by mouth once a day with breakfast.
- Make sure to take this medication with food. Taking it on an empty stomach results in less of the medication being absorbed.
- Make sure to swallow the tablets whole. Do not cut, break, chew, or crush them.
- The shell of the extended-release tablet does not fully dissolve. It is normal to see the tablet shell in your stool.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dose of doxazosin XL, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.