Men Home > What Is Doxazosin XL Used For?
How Does This Medication Work?Doxazosin XL belongs to a class of drugs known as alpha blockers. In particular, it works by blocking alpha-1 receptors. Alpha-1 receptors are found in several places of the body, including the prostate gland.
When used for the treatment of BPH, alpha-1 blockers help to relax the muscles of the prostate and the bladder neck (where urine leaves the bladder). Doxazosin XL does not shrink the prostate, as some other BPH medications do. However, by relaxing the muscles of the prostate and bladder, doxazosin XL helps to quickly relieve BPH symptoms. Although this medication can treat the symptoms, it is not a cure for BPH.
Is It Safe for Children or Teens to Use Doxazosin XL?Doxazosin XL is not approved for children or teens (this makes sense, as BPH is a condition that typically occurs in older men).
Is It Used for Off-Label Reasons?On occasion, your healthcare provider may recommend this medication for something other than BPH. This is known as an "off-label" use. Sometimes, medications like doxazosin XL are used off-label for the following uses:
- Treating high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Improving sexual function in men with BPH
- Treating premature ejaculation
- Treating urinary retention (difficulty emptying the bladder) in women
- Treating urinary problems associated with multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Helping to pass ureter stones (also known as bladder stones), which are kidney stones that have passed into the ureter (one of the tubes from the kidneys to the bladder).