Men Home > Finasteride Dosing
Finasteride dosing guidelines will vary depending on the medical condition that is being treated. For the treatment of male pattern baldness, the correct dosage is 1 mg once a day. For the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia, the dose is 5 mg once daily.
Finasteride (marketed under the brand names Propecia® and Proscar®) is a prescription medication approved for the treatment of certain types of male pattern baldness, as well as an enlarged prostate (also known medically as benign prostatic hyperplasia, benign prostatic hypertrophy, or BPH).
The finasteride dosing for male pattern baldness treatment is finasteride 1 mg once daily. There is only one dose of finasteride available for BPH treatment -- finasteride 5 mg once a day.
As with any medication, do not adjust your finasteride dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Some considerations for people taking finasteride include:
- Finasteride should be taken at the same time each day.
- If you do not take your finasteride as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take double the dose of finasteride.
- Your finasteride dosage can be taken with or without food. If finasteride bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- It may take as long as six months before your enlarged prostate symptoms or hair loss improves with finasteride.
- Women who are or may be pregnant should not touch broken or crushed finasteride tablets (see Finasteride During Pregnancy for more information).
- For finasteride to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Finasteride will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to finasteride or your finasteride dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking finasteride without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.