Men Home > Naftin
Naftin is licensed to treat ringworm, jock itch, or athlete's foot. This prescription medicine works by interfering with the formation of certain types of fungus that cause these conditions. This medication comes as a gel or a cream and is applied once or twice a day for two to four weeks, depending on the particular product and strength used. Side effects include dryness, redness, and stinging.
What Is Naftin?Naftin® (naftifine) is a prescription antifungal medication. It comes as a cream or gel and is approved to treat athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm.
How Does Naftin Work?Naftin works to kill fungus by inhibiting the activity of a certain enzyme known as squalene 2,3-epoxidase. This enzyme contributes to the process that helps build cell walls for fungus.
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Naftin include the following:
- Apply this medication to the face once a day for the cream, twice a day for the gel.
- Only a thin layer of the medicine is needed. However, make sure to treat the entire affected area, including about a half an inch past the affected area to the healthy skin.
- The 1% cream and gel are normally used for four weeks, while the 2% cream is typically used for two weeks.
- Wash your hands after applying Naftin.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.