While it is possible to overdose on Rogaine (minoxidil), no cases have been reported, so the full effects are not known. Possible symptoms might include scalp irritation, such as a red, dry, and itchy scalp. Treatment options for people who use too much of this medicine would likely include supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Use Too Much Rogaine?Rogaine® (minoxidil) is an over-the-counter (OTC) medication applied on the scalp to treat certain types of hair loss. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Rogaine.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Rogaine dosage and the area of the body it was applied to.
Although a Rogaine overdose is not likely to be dangerous, it is important to seek medical attention if you or someone else may have intentionally or accidentally overdosed on any medication.
Effects of an OverdoseThere have been no reported cases of a Rogaine overdose, so it is not known exactly what to expect from using too much of this medication. Based on the known side effects, using too much of the medication, or using it more often than recommended, may cause scalp irritation, including a red, dry, flaky, burning, or itchy scalp.
In addition, using too much Rogaine could cause the medication to be absorbed into the bloodstream in an amount large enough to cause additional (and potentially serious) symptoms. Such symptoms may include:
- A fast heart rate
- Severe low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia)
- Dizziness or lightheadedness.
Treatment OptionsTreatment for a Rogaine overdose would likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on this medication.