The recommended starting dose of silodosin for most men with an enlarged prostate is 8 mg once daily, taken with a meal. You can take your dose with any meal, as long as you consistently take the medication with the same meal each day. Your healthcare provider may recommend a lower dose (4 mg once daily) if you have moderate kidney dysfunction.
Dosage of Silodosin: An Introduction
There is only one standard way to dose silodosin (Rapaflo™), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Recommended Dose of Silodosin
The recommended starting silodosin dosage is 8 mg once daily with a meal. It does not matter which meal you choose, but you should consistently take silodosin with the same meal each day. For men with moderate kidney dysfunction, a lower dosage is recommended (silodosin 4 mg once daily with a meal). Silodosin is not recommended for men with severe kidney dysfunction. No dosage adjustment is necessary for mild kidney problems.
General Information on Dosing With Silodosin
Some considerations for people taking silodosin include the following:
- Silodosin comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day with a meal.
- Be sure to take silodosin with the same meal each day. Also, do not take it on an empty stomach, as this could increase the level of the medication in your blood too much.
- If you have trouble swallowing capsules, you may open the capsules and sprinkle the medication on a tablespoon of room-temperature applesauce. The applesauce and medication should be swallowed without chewing, within five minutes. Do not use hot applesauce, and follow it with a glass of cool water.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Silodosin will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or silodosin dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.