An Overview of Tamsulosin Dosing
The first dose when starting tamsulosin hydrochloride
) is 0.4 mg by mouth once daily. If you are not seeing any improvement in your enlarged prostate symptoms
after two to four weeks, your healthcare provider may suggest taking tamsulosin
0.8 mg (two 0.4 mg capsules) once daily. If at any time you stop taking tamsulosin, even for a few days, you will need to start back at the 0.4 mg dose for at least two weeks.
As with any medication, do not adjust your tamsulosin dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
General Tamsulosin Dosage Information
Some considerations for people taking tamsulosin include:
- Tamsulosin should be taken at the same time each day, a half an hour after a meal. Choose one meal to take tamsulosin after each day.
- If you do not take your tamsulosin as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of tamsulosin.
- Tamsulosin should be swallowed whole and should not be opened, crushed, or chewed.
- For tamsulosin to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Tamsulosin will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to tamsulosin or your tamsulosin dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking tamsulosin without discussing it first with your healthcare provider.