Tamsulosin Side Effects
As with any medication, there are potential tamsulosin side effects, including abnormal ejaculation, a runny or stuffy nose, and dizziness. Most people, however, tolerate the medication well. When side effects do occur, they are usually minor. If you experience more serious side effects, such as signs of an allergic reaction or a painful erection that will not go away, you should report them immediately to your healthcare provider.
An Introduction to Tamsulosin Side EffectsAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects associated with tamsulosin hydrochloride (Flomax®). However, not everyone who takes this drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate tamsulosin well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(The tamsulosin side effects discussed below are not a complete list of side effects reported with this drug. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of side effects with you.)
Common Tamsulosin Side EffectsTamsulosin has been thoroughly studied in clinical trials, with thousands of people having been evaluated. In these studies, side effects occurring in the group of people taking the drug are always documented and compared to the side effects that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. Based on these studies, the most common tamsulosin side effects include:
- Abnormal ejaculation -- occurring in up to 18.1 percent of people (see Flomax Sexual Side Effects)
- Runny or stuffy nose -- in up to 17.9 percent
- Dizziness -- in up to 17.1 percent
- Infections, including the common cold or flu -- in up to 10.8 percent
- General body pain -- in up to 8.5 percent
- Back pain -- in up to 8.3 percent
- Diarrhea -- in up to 6.2 percent
- Sore throat -- in up to 5.8 percent.
There are several less common tamsulosin side effects that occurred in 1 to 5 percent of people:
- Increased coughing
- Chest pain
- Upset stomach (nausea)
- Sinus infection (sinusitis)
- Decreased sex drive (libido)
- Blurred vision
- Tooth problems
- Trouble sleeping (insomnia)
- Spinning sensation (vertigo).
(You can also read about other possible side effects by going to: