Testosterone Cypionate Dosage
Testosterone cypionate comes in the form of an injection that is usually given in the gluteal muscle every two to four weeks. Your specific dose of testosterone cypionate will depend on several factors, such as how you respond to this drug, your testosterone levels, and other medications you are taking. You can give yourself the injections at home or have someone else administer them.
The dose of testosterone cypionate (Depo®-Testosterone) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to testosterone cypionate
- Your testosterone levels
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
There is no standard dosage for testosterone cypionate. Your healthcare provider will essentially estimate an appropriate starting dosage, based on your age, diagnosis, and testosterone levels. He or she will then adjust your dose as needed, based on how you react to the medication. The normal dosing range for this medication is 50 mg to 400 mg given every two to four weeks.
For starting puberty in adolescent males, there are various dosing regimens that have been suggested. Some healthcare providers like to start with a low testosterone cypionate dosage and gradually work up to a higher one. Others prefer to start with a high dosage, and then lower the amount once puberty has begun.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with testosterone cypionate include the following:
- The medication is an injection that is given once every two to four weeks. It is typically given into the gluteal muscle.
- Some men are able to give themselves the injections. Others have a friend or family member give the injection. Others only feel comfortable with a healthcare provider giving the injection. Talk with your healthcare provider about who should give the injections.
- Testosterone cypionate comes in a vial without any needles or syringes. If you are doing the injections at home, you will also need to purchase needles and syringes. Your pharmacist can help you choose an appropriate needle gauge and length.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or use it more frequently than prescribed without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or testosterone cypionate dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.